The 2018 Special Olympics USA Games
Time to get excited! July 1 – 6, 2018 – Seattle
The Archdiocese of Seattle Catholic Schools, guided by the spirit of the Diversified Learners Committee, is excited to announce our partnership and commitment to supporting the 2018 Special Olympics USA Games!
Many of the ministries of the Archdiocese of Seattle are coming together to serve and be witness to this incredible, life-changing opportunity! We thank the Fulcrum Foundation, Knights of Columbus – WA State Council, and the Special Needs – Inclusion Ministry for their generous partnership. This article will be used to begin sharing key resources and information to share broadly with …students, parents, teachers, and school/parish communities!
STEP 1: COMMUNICATE AND CALENDAR!
Please spread the word early and often so all students, teachers, families, friends and parishioners who WANT to witness and possibly volunteer at any of the venues CAN! Let’s organize our calendars and vacation schedules NOW so we can be ready to witness this moment! Share dates for volunteer opportunities…June 29 through July 6, 2018! Share Archbishop Sartain’s reflection from Strengthen My Brothers, April 30, 2014.
STEP 2: VOLUNTEER!
It’s our time to get ready! Can you join us? Sign up to volunteer!
Everyone who selects a shift will be prompted to ALSO select a training of their choice. If they choose the “cheer line” then they can choose the first training which is an “opt out”. Once you register, you can always readjust your volunteer commitment. All volunteers need to sign up by April 15, 2018!
Our Visibility … Our Solidarity… Our Volunteers…
Our 3 Day Commitment as an Archdiocese!
- Friday, June 29: SEATAC INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT! It’s AIRPORT WELCOME DAY and we have shifts for Greeters, Baggage Claim Helpers, and Guides to Light Rail! Please help us welcome the Special Olympics athletes, their families, and SO delegates!!!
- Saturday, June 30: 7:00 PM. MASS FOR THE ATHLETES, their families and SO delegates and friends with Archbishop J. Peter Sartain. University of Washington Campus. Facilitated by the Inclusion Ministry Committee and Knights of Columbus.
- Sunday, July 1: 12:30 PM – 3:00 PM Opening Ceremonies! University of Washington’s HUSKY Stadium: The Parade of Athletes, entertainment, and the Lighting of the Special Olympics Cauldron to open the Games! 9 AM to 12:30 PM – Join as Archdiocesan schools for the mile long CHEER LINE to honor all SO Athletes as they gather for the Parade of Athletes! Families who volunteer will have access into Opening Ceremonies. Stay and be FANs IN THE STANDs!
Can’t be in Seattle??? We still need YOU!
- Homemade – Schoolmade SIGNS to honor the SO Athletes! If 73 schools each made 10 posters we would have 730 signs of solidarity and support for athletes of 50 states! Bring finished signs to the May 17, 2018 Principals’ Leadership Meeting and we will deliver on your behalf.
Then……Let the Games begin! The Sports Venues – July 1 – 6, 2018
- UW: (Basketball, Track and Field, Bocce, Flag Football, PowerLifting, Tennis, Volleyball)
- Angle Lake in SeaTac (Stand Up Paddleboard)
- Celebration Park in Federal Way (Softball)
- Kenmore Lanes in Kenmore (Bowling)
- Seattle Pacific University in Seattle (Gymnastics)
- Seattle University in Seattle (Basketball and Soccer)
- King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way (Swimming)
- Willow Run Golf Club in Redmond (Golf)
- Special Olympics Overview
- How does this fit into the 2014 OCS Strategic Plan?
- The DL Road to the SO USA Games
- RESOURCES to Prepare for the SO USA GAMES!
Volunteer NOW! Ask me HOW!
Your Archdiocesan Leadership Team,
Dan Sherman, Principal, St. Madeleine Sophie School, Bellevue email@example.com
Teresa Fewel, Principal, St. Thomas More School, Lynnwood firstname.lastname@example.org
Bonnie Meyer, Vice Principal, Our Lady of the Lake School, Seattle BMeyer@OLLseattle.org
Martine Romero, Vice Principal, St. Madeleine Sophie School, Bellevue email@example.com
Stephanie Gove, Director of the Mother Theresa Program, Kennedy Catholic, Burien firstname.lastname@example.org
Sandra Smith, Assistant Superintendent, Office for Catholic Schools email@example.com
Eugenia Geisel, OCS Administrative Aide, firstname.lastname@example.org
Erica Cohen Moore, Director of Discipleship, The Chancery erica.Cohen@seattlearch.org
Darren E. Johnson, State Special Olympics Chairman, WA State Knights of Columbus, SPECIALOLYMPICS@kofc-wa.org
Karlan Jessen, Director of Volunteers, USA Games 2018, email@example.com